City of Winona
Memorial Tree / Commemorative Bench Application
City of Winona Parks and Recreation
Please read carefully before submitting a request.
To establish guidelines for the consistent decision-making process related to the acceptance, placement and long-term maintenance of public requests for memorial donations in city-owned facilities, parks, natural areas and trail system.
Memorials and gifts have augmented City of Winona Parks and Recreation Department properties and facilities. Historically, the department has accepted these donations without a formal written policy. Policies that outline the criteria and conditions for the naming of parks and facilities and the donation of real property do not apply to Memorial donations within the city’s parks and recreation system. Guidelines are needed for sustainable management of site-appropriate amenities, so as not to detract from the visual aesthetics of the surrounding natural environment or place an undue burden on the city.
The protection of the natural environment is a high priority. To this end, the City of Winona Parks and Recreation Department may limit memorials in order to promote resource management and sustainability of natural landscapes. The integrity, natural and architectural features of parks, natural areas, and facilities will be preserved and not detract from a user’s experience. Design specifications will be compatible with existing management and operations plans. A final decision on the placement of memorials will be made by the parks and recreation department. Memorials cannot have a commercial appearance or corporate label.
All proposals will be evaluated by Parks and Recreation staff according to the following:
• Placement of enhancements in the Parks and Recreation system must be compatible with the existing Parks, Recreation and Open Space Master Plan, Parks Management Plan, Parks Operations Manual, Individual Park plans, and/or Capital Improvement Program (CIP) requirements of the Department
• The final decision as to location will be determined by the Parks and Recreation Department.
• Memorials shall not detract from or overpower the scenic or architectural values of the existing environment.
• All memorials will be constructed of materials that meet the design and maintenance considerations of the Parks and Recreation Department.
• Memorial donations, which are large in scale, may be considered on a case-by-case basis, as they relate to park planning processes and the CIP process.
• Non-designated monetary memorial donations will be used to meet current needs of the department as recommended by the department director.
1. The donor meets with Parks and Recreation Staff to share ideas and then submits a completed Memorial Donation Agreement Form. Agreements are available in either hard copy form or online.
2. Parks and Recreation Department will review and determine the appropriateness of the proposal as measured by approval criteria. Department staff will notify the donor, in writing, within 20 business days of the review decision, identifying any final conditions of approval.
3. Memorial Donations that are part of the commemorative bench, table and living tree menu only require approval for exact location of the desired memorial donation
NOTICE: The City is no longer adding benches to the East or Lake Park but may replace benches that are in less than ideal condition.
4. DONATION SPECIFIC
4.1. TREE: Once approved by department staff, the purchaser will be instructed to pick out and pay for tree at Winona Nursery (Address: 1258 Sugar Loaf Rd, Winona, MN 55987
Phone: (507) 452-6237) and notify Parks and Recreation Staff when complete. There are no additional fees for installation.
Approved trees are: Elm, Flowering Crab, Ginko, Japanese Lilac, Kentucky Coffee, Locust, Service Berry. Not approved: All types of Maples. Trees cost approximately $300-$400 depending on the species.
4.2. BENCH / TABLE: Once approved, Parks and Recreation Department staff will place the product order and create an invoice for the purchaser. Benches are from Rendezvous Line at Anova Furnishings in the color of black. Benches cost approximately $1,200. NOTICE: The City is no longer adding new benches to the East or Lake Park but may replace benches that are in less than ideal condition.
5. Recreation staff will contact Parks Department to schedule the tree install. The Parks Department will pick the tree up from Winona Nursery or bench from named distributor and install as designated in the agreement. There are no additional fees for the planting of trees or installation of benches/tables.
The City does not guarantee permanency of the memorial. If a memorial must be relocated, Department staff will attempt to notify the donor, in writing, at the address shown on the completed Memorial Donation Agreement Form. The City takes no responsibility to replace stolen, vandalized plaques or for maintenance or replacement of trees that are not watered by automated irrigation system, and/or where a donor has agreed to accept responsibility for watering the tree.
The Director’s approval must be received before ordering and installation of the memorial may proceed. The City shall be responsible for the installation, maintenance, and protection of the work, within reason. Once installed, the memorial becomes City property. The City does not guarantee permanency of the memorial. If a memorial must be relocated, Department staff will attempt to notify the donor, in writing, at the address shown on the completed Memorial Donation Agreement Form.
Review and Update
This policy may be reviewed annually by department staff and updated as indicated.
DONOR ORGANIZATION (if applicable)
Address Line 2
State / Province / Region
Postal / Zip Code
Antigua and Barbuda
Bosnia and Herzegovina
British Indian Ocean Territory
Central African Republic
Democratic Republic of the Congo
Republic of the Congo
Papua New Guinea
Saint Kitts and Nevis
Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
Sao Tome and Principe
Trinidad and Tobago
United Arab Emirates
United States Minor Outlying Islands
Virgin Islands, British
Virgin Islands, U.S.
CONTACT PERSON PHONE
CONTACT PERSON EMAIL
NAME OF PARK FOR DESIRED LOCATION (not guaranteed)
PLEASE SPECIFY THE TYPE OF DONATION
Commemorative Bench / Table
Statutes / fountains
Memorial gifts to The City of Winona are considered outright and unrestricted donations. The City of Winona does not guarantee permanency of the accepted donation. If a memorial must be relocated, department staff will attempt to notify the donor in writing at the address shown on this form. Donations may be tax deductible (please consult an accountant). The donor declares to have read the Memorial Donation Acceptance and Management Guidelines. The donor understands and agrees with the conditions set forth in this policy and agrees to pay the City any donation funds within one month of notification of Memorial Agreement approval.
I have read and understand the donation policy. (First and last name)
For more information, please contact the City f of Winona Parks and Recreation Department.
City of Winona
Parks and Recreation
207 Lafayette Street
Winona, MN 55987
A description of the section goes here.
Do Not Fill This Out